If your iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s is facing some problems with sound settings, do not worry. This problem has been encountered by many users and there are solutions to solve these issues. There are issues like the device does not make any sound at all even if headphones are plugged in. Another one is the sound can be heard only when the headphones are plugged in.
Sound Issues on iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S
Here are some of the issues regarding the sounds on iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.
No Alert Sounds – When you go to Settings and check the alert sound previews, you actually hear them. But when you receive calls, text messages or emails, you do not here the alert.
No System Sounds – Your device rings when receiving calls or messages. However, unlock/lock sounds, keyboard sounds and other system notifications do not make any sound at all.
Both No Alert and No System Sounds – Your device have both problems with alerts and system sounds.
Solutions to Fix Sound Issues on iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s
Here are some solutions that you can try to fix sound issues on your device.
Solution 1: Put your device into DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode
- Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac.
- Launch iTunes.
- Turn your iPhone Off. Press and hold On/Off button for at least three seconds and slide to power off.
- Press and hold down On/Off button for at least three seconds.
- Press and hold down Home button while pressing the On/Off button.
- Keep holding both buttons for at least ten seconds. (However, if the Apple logo appears, it means that you have held the buttons for too long. You must do it again.)
- Let go On/Off button while still holding the Home button for at least 5 seconds. (However, if Plug into iTunes appears, it means that you held it for too long and you need to do it again.)
- If your screen remains black, then your device is now in DFU mode.
Solution 2: Replace dock connector
If solution 1 did not work, you can try replacing your dock connector. Most of the iPhone 4 and 4s users who have encountered sound issues have solved their problems by replacing dock connector. The dock connector contains the wires and some components for the devices’ sound system. Replacing it can cost you less than buying a brand new iPhone. This will surely solve the sound issue. Just make sure that you will use genuine parts from reputable stores.